The basic principles about the X-ray and CT technique.
X-ray/CT Technique - Introduction
Learn the most important basics about the X-ray and CT technique in understandable language, with a special focus on physics. Various CT techniques are discussed, including the latest CT development 'Photon-Counting Detector CT' (operational in hospitals since 2021).
It is particularly recommended that you read this module before you start with the specific lectures on the various X-ray examinations (for example X-Shoulder) and CT examinations (for example CT Abdomen General).
If you want to know more about the dangers of ionizing radiation, the Ionizing Radiation module may be interesting to read.
Tube voltage (kV)
Tube current (mA).
Dual Energy CT
Photon Counting Detector CT (PCDT)
Learn everything about X-ray/CT Technique
Text & Illustrations
Drs. A. van der Plas, MSK radiologist Maastricht UMC+
With special thanks to:
Drs. S. Springer, Medical Physicist Assistant Maastricht UMC+
- M. Prokop; Spiral and Multislice Computed Tomography of the body (2003)
- A. Lemmens; Praktische radiologie (april 2005)
- J. Rydberg, et al; Multisection CT: Scanning Techniques and Clinical Applications. RadioGraphics 2000.
- P. Allisy-Roberts, J. Williams; Farr’s Physics for Medical Imaging (sec. edition 2008)
- A . Esquival et. al.; Photon-Counting Detector CT: Key Points Radiologists Should Know. Korean J Radiol (2022)
- K Rajendran, M. Petersilka; First Clinical Photon-counting Detector CT System: Technical Evaluation. Radiology (2022)
- F. Tatsugami et. al.; Dual-energy CT: minimal essentials for radiologists. Japanese Journal of Radiology (2022)
- J.R. Grajo, D.V. Sahani; Dual-Energy CT of the Abdomen and Pelvis: Radiation Dose Considerations. Journal of the American College of Radiology (2018)
- R. Grkovski et. al.; A Novel Dual-Energy CT Method for Detection and Differentiation of Intracerebral Hemorrhage From Contrast Extravasation in Stroke Patients After Endovascular Thrombectomy: Feasibility and First Results. Clin Neuroradiology (2023)
(All the work (text, illustrations, visual elements) seen on this website is copyright by Radiology Expert.
It may not be used without written permission of Radiology Expert).